Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Changing of the Guard

Two weeks ago I noticed that the patients' ICU notes were getting submitted to records later and later, finally culminating in never being in before 5pm. I was all, 'what the hell?!' since rounding starts at 7am and ends around noon. I was getting really annoyed, as I need those charts to finish my work. When I started here in December, I was done at 2pm-ish, now, the beginning of summer, I'm getting done around 6 or 7. It was really irritating.

Fast-forward to this past weekend- I realized that the ICU notes were now being done by 9am. I was *impressed*. I had to pick up my jaw from the floor. I was done around noon, basking in the sunshine, so happy for the fact that obviously the residents wanted to leave early too! Yay! That was until I looked at the calendar and realized that July 1 had passed. And then it dawned on me- the gradual increase in lateness matched the increase in apathy for being done with residency year. The sharp uptick in punctuality was due to new interns being eager to please their attendings. Oh well, that's one positive that comes from new doctors at the helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment